I am puzzled why some people do not like to eat or even smell, cheese! I eat Bagoong, Blachang, NukNam, NamPla and Stylton! Found that if food smells it must be a reason for it and most of the time it tastes good. Durian, love Durian fruit, or Appenzeller Cheese! In my opinion one of the best cheeses there is, period! Appenzeller cheese is a hard cow’s-milk cheese produced in the Appenzell region of northeast Switzerland. An herbal brine, sometimes incorporating wine or cider, is applied to the wheels of cheese while they cure, which flavors and preserves the cheese while promoting the formation of a rind. Appenzeller has a documented history of at least 700 years. Today, about 75 dairies produce it, each with a different recipe for their brine wash. Most of the recipes are trade secrets. The cheese is straw-colored, with tiny holes and a golden rind. It has a strong smell and a nutty or fruity flavor, which can range from mild to tangy, depending on how long it is aged. Three types are sold:
  • “Classic”. Aged three to four months. The wheels are wrapped in a silver label.
  • “Surchoix”. Aged four to six months. Gold label.
  • “Extra”. Aged six months or longer. Black label.
This entry was posted in Food, Shopping?. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Appenzeller

1. FAITH MONARI says:

WOW! i like to try that one, coz u talk about people who hate cheese, am one of them!

2. thomas says:

Wow Chris,
    know you taking about a real cheese!
    Right from my “Home turf” Slightly getting homesick!

3. Dreamy says:

i luv cheese <3 but this 1 includes al cohol?

4. werner says:

hey nice way saying that !!
    i alos love Bagoong and had many befoer but appenzeller is NOt my favorite cheese !
    i rather have some antalya goat cheese here !!
    cheers !
    check my blog about chef Mehmet !in 4 seasons !!

5. Dedy says:

ooooooooo…….I love cheese, blue cheese and gruyere are my favorite. I would like to try appenzeller maybe sometimes……..

Your Pictures are always stunning Chef,

6. Rosa says:

I love Appenzeller cheese! A great choice!

Cheers from Switzerland,

Facebook Latest Posts

Warning: file_get_contents( [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request in /data/14/1/87/152/1250967/user/1334205/htdocs/blog1/wp-content/themes/sugarhead/sidebar.php on line 26

Warning: file_get_contents( [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden in /data/14/1/87/152/1250967/user/1334205/htdocs/blog1/wp-content/themes/sugarhead/sidebar.php on line 40

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /data/14/1/87/152/1250967/user/1334205/htdocs/blog1/wp-content/themes/sugarhead/sidebar.php on line 45

Youtube Latest Clip